Sunday, March 17, 2013

How to Handle a Detangling Nightmare!!!!

Last week I had the bright idea to wash my hair in my kitchen sink. WHYYYY?!?!? I washed my hair in two sections using my creamy aloe shampoo from ORS. (I only shampoo wash my hair once a month to get rid of any build up) I followed that up with my Aphogee two minute reconstructor. I have not used this in over a month. I felt my hair was getting way to hard in January. I was using a lot of protein so I decided to take a protein break. Since it has been over a month I felt it was time to work protein back into my regimen. I followed the Aphogee up with my deep conditioner. I thought everything was going good. I left my conditioner on for a couple of hours.

I again went to my sink to rinse out the conditioner. I let my hair dry for about 10 - 20 minutes then started the detangling process. I can normally detangle my hair in about 10 minutes. But as soon as I started I knew something was WRONG. My hair felt matted where my texlaxed hair meets my bone straight hair. I was so afraid that I was going to have to cut my hair. It was just that bad! I added more of my leave in conditioners. Yes, I said conditioners. I used both my thick, creamy Cantu Shea Butter and my Aussie spray leave in.

I had to section my hair into 1-2 inch sections detangle then braid each section to keep it separate. Even though it was extremely matted my hair was really soft. So I know that my conditioner was not to blame. I only had myself to blame. I was being lazy and did not go through my usual steps. I started the whole process off wrong because I did not detangle my hair before I started to wash it. I had been wearing my hair in a braid out for the past week. So I had a lot of shed hairs that I should have removed first. Then to make matters worse I washed my hair in the sink. That caused me to wash my hair in a completely different direction than I normally do. The loose hairs couldn't come out as easily as it would have if my hair would have been washed all going backwards.

It took me over a hour to detangle my hair and I lost probably 6x what I normally loss detangling. I will from now on continue to wash my hair in the shower. I don't think this was a set back because I didn't really see a huge difference in my hair after deep conditioning today. Lucky for me I have really thick hair. The pictures on the left side show what I lost due to me being lazy. The pictures on the right side show how much hair I lost after detangling today, and that is about average for me.



4 comments:

  1. WHOA! I would have passed out! I totally avoid washing in the sink for this very reason. Some people can do it with no issue, but my hair gets super tangled. Glad it didn't cause a setback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my boyfriend thought I was going to pass out lol

      Delete
  2. I probably would have freaked out seeing that much hair! But they don't call it a journey for nothing. No more lazy days lol stay strong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more lazy days!! I made the journey harder for no reason smh

      Delete