Sunday, November 18, 2012

Do You Have a Hair Journey Support System??

When I first started my relaxed hair journey I was very excited and wanted to talk about it to everyone, but I didn't. I know how judgmental people can be because I was one of the outsiders looking in a few years ago when my sister called me to tell me about how she was starting a health hair journey. I listened to her go on and on about how she was going to take care of her hair, wash it two times a week, she was going to start using all of these different oils, and how I should stay away from shampoos. I told her she was crazy. I started spitting out all of these myths I, like many other African American girls, had been told since a young age. I told her your hair is going to be dry and break off from washing it that much, those oils are going to weigh your hair down, and my favorite your hair is going to be dirty if you don't use shampoo. I did not really give her a chance to explain much and this caused her to not tell me anything else about her hair journey.

So, lets fast forward two years. I called my sister up spilling out facts left and right that I had learned about starting a healthy hair journey. She of course hit me with the biggest I TOLD YOU SO. Now I call her whenever I find a new product or hit a small hair goal. I send her my comparison pictures and ask her for tips because she has been on a natural healthy hair journey for two years. I am also a member of K-I-S-S and Hairlista. I can go on these sites and read other people's blogs or post questions. Its a great help to know that there are hundreds of women out there that are interested in my journey and are posting about their setbacks and achievements.

Not everyone will be supportive and that is important to understand from the jump. Some people will not understand why we do the things we do. Some people just don't care. Then you have your haters. Everyone  knows one. That girl that always has something to say about your bun or what you are doing to try to improve your hair. This person may be an acquaintance, a friend, or even your sister. It is important to recognize them and then avoid going into detail about your hair journey with them. You have to make some people believers by showing your wonderful results. I let my haters be my motivators. Find a blog, website, a  friend, or forum that you can go to for support. It can make all the difference in your hair journey, I know it has helped me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment