Monday, February 25, 2013

Check-in Trim, Trim, Trim those Damaged Ends Away

I said a couple of weeks ago that I had been trimming away my thin ends, but I would put down the scissors well.... I picked them up again last week. I trimmed another half inch off I think. It needed to go so what can I say. I think it is because my ends got so dry while I was trying out a new moisturizer mix. Well needless to say I am not using it anymore.

Most people say you should start your hair journey with a good trim, but I just could not bring myself to do it then. When I started my hair journey my hair was the shortest it had ever been (about CBL) and I just couldn't imagine cutting anything off. So I have been trimming off a inch or half inch here and there since then. I do not have a problem with split ends (thankfully)  just thin, dry ends (which can lead to split ends). This is the result of over processing and multiple permanent dyes/ bleaching. I am happy that I have cut so much off. I probably have another 2 inches of hair that has been dyed/bleached to go, but what is left is not as bad.

I was grazing APL after my relaxer in January and my goal was to be full APL by my birthday in April. Since I've been trimming so much I am not sure where I am at now. I am 7 weeks post now so I am half way through my stretch. I will continue wearing buns everyday and only using indirect heat (when I am deep conditioning). I want nothing more than to be APL by my birthday. I would have never guessed it would take me this long to reach APL but it is what it is. I can't complain because my almost APL length hair now is so much better than my almost APL length hair when I started. I never understood why people said health over length before I started my hair journey, but now I am happy to be one of those ladies. Health over length any day, because with health comes length. No need to hold on to thin damaged ends just to say I'm at APL.

Did you all have to do a lot of trimming when you first started your health hair journey? Did you have the nerve to do a really good trim before starting your journey? Or were your ends pretty good when you started?

No comments:

Post a Comment